What is an Interjection – Types of Interjection | Easy Guide 2022
Interjections are among the Parts of Speech, which are known by feelings, emotions, and sentiments. In our daily lives, emotions and feelings play a critical role. With the help of interjections and types of interjections, anyone can learn the scenarios quickly.
While speaking or writing, you can give surprise, joy, and attention. So, they are easy to use at the start, center, or end of a sentence. Usually, these words are used in informal communication. You will see that people will use these words in cases of excitement or sadness.
Moreover, some interjections are used to express surprise. There are some features of interjections that are:
- While using interjections doesn’t require grammar.
- You can’t modify them.
- In the sentence, you will see that interjections are used separately.
- They contain feelings and emotions in them.
Let’s consult some examples that of interjections:
- Wow! Austin performs amazingly in the match.
- Hurrah! Norma has won the food contest.
- Oh! He has lost his precious watch.
- Alas! I am stuck in heavy traffic.
- Well! John has good news for you.
- Alpha! You are active in operation.
- What! Has he acted suicide?
- Oops! It fell because of me.
- Congrats! You have achieved the highest position.
Types of Interjection
Suppose we talk about the types of interjections in English grammar. Therefore, there is a wide variety of human emotions of feelings. That’s why every emotion or feeling has its own category.
In particular, you will see some of the exclamations that are used to express love, surprise, happiness, disgust, and much more. So, we will see all the types of interjections with examples and how they perform. We have given below the list of the following types of interjections:
- Primary Interjections
- Secondary Interjections
- Interjections for Greeting
- Interjections for Joy
- Interjections for Approval and Praise
- Interjections for Surprise
- Interjections for Grief and Pain
- Interjections for Attention
Let’s explore them one by one with multiple examples.
1. Primary Interjections
The first and foremost type of interjection is primary interjections. Usually, you will see some single words that are used as interjections. They include “oops,” “ouch,” “hmm,” “ow,” “woohoo,” and “yum.”
With some examples, you will get more clarity.
- Oops! Norma got injured.
- Yum! The dish is so tasty.
- Ouch! My hand was caught in the machine.
- Hmm! She did not confirm the picture.
2. Secondary Interjection
Besides primary interjections, secondary interjections contain multiple words. They contain other words with simple words. These additional words are adverbs, adjectives, nouns, or pronouns.
Furthermore, you will see that they don’t have any relation to grammar. Some of the secondary interjections are: bless you, congratulations, good grief, hell, hey, hi, oh my, and oh my God.
For better knowledge, we will list some examples.
- He is an invigilator here. Nice!
- Congratulations! You are chosen for the OM.
- Great! Let’s finish the badminton game.
- Oh, dear! She is the new professor here.
- Oh, my God! How did that incident occur?
3. Interjections for Greeting
As the name suggests, this is used to greet a person with words like hello, hi, etc. Whenever you meet any person and use any of these words to welcome him or her. Then you have used the interjections for greetings.
- Hello! How was your son?
- Hey! Glad to meet your father.
- Hi! Myself John, how are you?
- Hello! Norma, what are you doing?
- Hey! Where were you last night?
4. Interjections for Joy
When it comes to the interjections for joy, then we used some words in our vocabulary. That is used to express happiness or joy, just like wow, hurrah, hurray, etc.
Usually, on any occasion, these words are used to tell others happiness about that thing.
Let explain it with the help of some samples:
- Wow! We have qualified for the runners up.
- Amazing! Now you can carry it forward.
- Hurrah! They have won the bet.
- Wow! The marriage house is decorated amazingly.
- Hurray! John has reached the top level.
- Yuppie! We are going to New york.
- Wow! The food street was decorated well.
5. Interjections for Approval and Praise
These are the words that will show you the approval. Mostly, during the conversation, people used it to approve. Likewise, if you want to get permission for work from your boss, then in return, your boss will give you approval with the well done, bravo, etc.
Let’s take several examples to give you more clarification.
- Charlie! Jack is done with the goal.
- Well done! You have completed a project efficiently.
- Splendid! The boss loves your work.
- Yummy! The continental dish is very delicious.
- Brilliant! Your design is outstanding.
6. Interjections for Surprise
Suppose you want to give a surprise to a person. Then the best way is to use the interjections for a surprise. These words are: hey, ah, what, oh, eh, etc.
Mostly, these words are used in case of surprise. You will get better clarity with the examples.
- What! Have you closed the three sales?
- Ah! What have you done?
- Oh! It is a snowy day.
- Hey! Are you clear about the plan?
- Oh! What a fantastic shot by jack.
- Oh! That’s the lovable painting.
7. Interjections for Sorrow
Apart from the other types, some words depict a sense of sadness. If any unfortunate happens then you can use Alas!, Ouch!, Aww!, Oww!, and Boohoo!.
Further, if you are not cleared about it, then have a look at the given examples.
- Aah! I have lost a copy of the dollars.
- Aww! Just look at the poor guy.
- Ouch! My ankle gets hurt.
- Boohoo! She was crying due to high pain.
- Oww! That hurts a lot.
- Alas! His deal was closed.
8. Interjections for Attention
The last types of interjections include interjections for attention. It is commonly used to gather the attention of a person in a sentence. They include Look! Hush! Listen!, and Behold!.
Further, we have some examples of practice. You can look at them below.
- Listen! You will work with Norma.
- Look! The President is coming, so stay alert.
- Hush! It sounds like someone is running.
- Listen! You must be careful next time.
- Look! Check who is in the room?
- Behold! The art by John is very adorable.
- Listen! Don’t work carelessly.
- Hush! Stay quiet while meeting.
In conclusion, we have fully explained all types of interjections with examples. We expect that you will be clear about the interjections and their use in a sentence. Usually, these are the words through which you can show emotions.
Generally speaking, you can represent the emotions without words. So, the best words that describe feelings are interjections. Moreover, you can do practice by making interjection worksheets, an interjection lesson plan, and a list of interjections.
Henceforth, if you found more clarity concerning the types, you can freely ask in the comment box.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the symbol of interjection?
When using words in sentences, you will see that specific terms contain an exclamation mark. So, this is the symbol of interjection. In the above text, you will see some words with exclamation marks highlighted.
Is Umm an interjection?
Yes, it is known as a short interjection.
Can any word be an interjection?
Most importantly, you must remember what interjections are?
Then you will not consider every word as an interjection. Specifically, some particular words show emotions. They are known as interjections.
What could life be without types of interjections?
Life would be boring without types of interjections. Because they are words that make life colorful.