- 1 What is a Conjunction?
- 2 Types of Conjunctions
- 3 Summary
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4.1 What is a conjunction words list?
- 4.2 Both is a conjunction word or not?
- 4.3 How many conjunctions are in a sentence?
- 4.4 Can you use multiple conjunctions in a sentence?
- 4.5 What is the difference between connectives and conjunctions?
- 4.6 What are the seven fanboys?
- 4.7 How many subordinating conjunctions are there?
- 4.8 What is SWABI in English?
- 4.9 Can we use commas with conjunctions?
- 5 You May Like
- 6 Leave your vote
While speaking or writing English, did you ever notice that what conjunctions are? What are the different types of conjunctions that we are using in our daily life?
Therefore, you should learn the art of using and writing conjunctions. We will clear these queries one by one in this article.
Moreover, if you know the conjunctions and their functions, you will not hesitate to read or write English. With our in-depth research, you will get to know about conjunctions and their kinds.
What is a Conjunction?
In English, you will see some words playing a role in connecting words, clauses, or phrases in a sentence. Some of the common conjunctions in daily use are “but,” “while,” “although.”
- John loves to eat fruit and vegetables in the afternoon.
- There are many trainers in the event; however, none of them are experts in specific domains.
In the above sentences, you can see that the sentences are easy to understand with the proper use of conjunctions.
Types of Conjunctions
At present, four types of conjunctions are given below:
- Coordinating Conjunctions
- Subordinating Conjunctions
- Correlative Conjunctions
1. Coordinating Conjunctions
The first thing to remember is coordinating conjunctions. You will see some common words through which you can join the same class’s terms in a sentence.
Just like they work, o connect phrases with phrases, words with words, and clauses with clauses. They will also work to connect two verbs, two nouns, and two phrases.
Suppose you are crazy to remember the coordinating conjunctions. Then the best way is to remember by FANBOYS Conjunctions.
F – For
A – And
N – Nor
B – But
O – or
Y – Yet
S – So
When it comes to the utilization of coordinating conjunctions, you can use them within the sentences.
Coordinating Conjunctions Examples
- John and Jack play volleyball on the court.
- Before the marriage event, Alish and Norma prepare all things.
- Jack likes laptops and cell phones.
- Elon prepares the food, but it was damaged.
- The waiter asked for mutton or beef.
- She can join the office or work at his business.
- Elton doesn’t like football, nor he loves to play cricket.
2. Subordinating Conjunctions
In sentences, they are the most important. Often, you will see that in a sentence, there are two clauses.
One is a dependent clause, and the other is an independent clause. Subordinating conjunctions will play a role to join them with each other. They include, after, although, because, since, how, if, and until.
When it comes to function, subordinate conjunctions performs two main functions. Firstly it will clarify the importance of the dependent clause. Secondly, it will add a transition between two words or ideas.
Moreover, you can get an idea about the place, time, cause, and effect with the transition sentence. We will recommend you to check the subordinating conjunction examples for a more in-depth understanding.
Subordinating Conjunctions Examples
- The children complete their work before going to play football.
- John starts laughing whenever he sees Mr.bean.
- When the bell rings, the cat jumps to the door.
- Let me know how well you manage the tasks?
- After jumping on the obstacle, Jack gets more confident.
- As far as it is concerned, we will discuss it later.
- If the weather were clear, we would practice badminton.
3. Correlative Conjunctions
Some words play a role in joining or correlate phrases or words. Most of the time, in parts of speech, they are used commonly.
Commonly they are either-or, both-and, not-but, neither-nor, and weather-or.
Further, while using the correlative conjunctions, you should know some rules.
- While using the correlative conjunction, you must make sure that the verb is compatible with the sentence.
We have listed some correlative conjunction examples that will make you understand. Moreover, you can make correlative conjunctions worksheets for practice.
Correlative Conjunctions Examples
- John is both loving and caring.
- He will neither play cricket nor plays football.
- Norma is not only hardworking but also very smart.
- Whether you work there or not, you will have to admire it.
- She wants either chocolate cake or pasta.
In summary, conjunctions play a vital role in writing and speaking. The Types of conjunctions primary function is to enhance the relationship between various sentences. It will help you to make proper sense of a sentence.
Moreover, you should practice the types of conjunctions with multiple classes and a list of conjunctions. Children can do practice with the conjunctions game and conjunctions exercises. That will make you understand better to select and use particular conjunctions in English.
Lastly, if you found any issue concerning the types of conjunctions, you can ask freely. We will feel pleasure to entertain your queries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most people have some questions that are not clear. So, the below FAQs will give you better clearance.
What is a conjunction words list?
B– Before, because, and by the time
E– Even though, even if
I– If, in order, that, in case.
O– Only if, once
P– Provided that
S– So that, since
T– Though, then, that, till
Both is a conjunction word or not?
Yes, both is a word that can be used as a conjunction word. You can use it with “and.”
How many conjunctions are in a sentence?
There are different conjunctions in a sentence. It depends on the types of conjunction according to the sentence. Additionally, you should remember the code word of FANBOYS Conjunctions.
Can you use multiple conjunctions in a sentence?
Yes, you can use more than one conjunctions in a sentence. Likewise, in correlative conjunctions, one can use multiple conjunctions.
What is the difference between connectives and conjunctions?
If we talk about connective, then they are the words that play a role in joining two different ideas in two sentences. On the other hand, you can use conjunctions to combine or merge two concepts in a particular sentence.
What are the seven fanboys?
They are :
For, And, Nor, Both, Or, Yet, and So.
How many subordinating conjunctions are there?
There are round about 48 subordinating conjunctions. Further, you can check the list of subordinating conjunctions.
What is SWABI in English?
It is the code word that is used to remember subordinating conjunctions. They are:
Can we use commas with conjunctions?
Yes, using commas with conjunctions will make them more sound.